Thursday 28 January 2016

What to Do About Control Freak Pastors?



In my previous post, I dealt with the whereabouts of God. All churches teach about him being in heaven. But even a church which seems to preach the Bible can be a trap. So how can you tell if one is or isn't toxic?

Through many testimonies I've heard from naive church attendees, I learned that they had their trust abused. Some were even physically violated. Crooked pastors sought to manipulate congregants into doing what their wicked hearts desired rather than doing what was the best for them.

In my case, I was lured in by the promise of "advanced spiritual knowledge" and being in an elite congregation. Not only was I taught blasphemous doctrines and outright lies but elders condemned me for lacking faith to be healed, lusting for good eyesight, having hidden sins, or having ancestral sins blocking my vision. I now know that all those supposed reasons are unadulterated garbage.

So how can believers avoid control freak pastors who teach lies and who lambaste lambs? Realize that joining a church shouldn't mean you give up all rights. If elders start leaning on you to do or not do something, and it's not a sin as described in the scriptures, leave immediately or sooner. Don't make my mistake of staying and taking unwarranted abuse.

Also, make sure that the pastors take the context, history, and customs into account when they teach from Scripture. Read the passages for your self rather than just accepting what they say about them. Learn about the cultures and politics of the times mentioned in the Bible as well. Issues like head coverings, as just one example, have been so badly misunderstood that totally unnecessary arguments and bad feelings resulted.

If you like what you're reading here, please subscribe to this blog. Much of the wisdom I'm writing here is also in my How I Was Razed book. I've gleaned it from excellent Bible scholars who know how to study Scripture. Also,  feel free to contact me with your questions and regarding my books.

In my next post, I'll show how Christianity is all in the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.